Top Stories: Things that made news in the Cricket World Today
Updated - Aug 24, 2015 2:19 pm
Top Stories: Things that made news in the Cricket World Today:
Ashwin’s fifer catapults India to a resounding win:
- India 393 (Rahul 108, Rohit 79, Kohli 78, Herath 4-81) and 325 for 8 dec. (Rahane 126, Vijay 82, Prasad 4-43, Kaushal 4-118) beat Sri Lanka 306 (Mathews 102, Thirimanne 62, Mishra 4-43) and 134 (Karunaratne 46, Ashwin 5-42, Mishra 3-29) by 278 runs. (Read more about the story here)
Joe Root and David Warner put an end to differences over a beer:
- Joe Root posted a picture with Warner in the social networking site first time since their nightclub fight two years ago. (Read more about the story here)
Michael Clarke is equal to Allan Border: Shane Warne:
- “Allan Border was the most meticulous in preparation and I think Michael Clarke rivals Allan Border for his preparation in leading up to a game,” the spinning-bowling great said.
Umpires ask papare band to cease playing:
- Umpires asked a papare (brass) band at the P Sara Oval to stop playing during overs, for the second Colombo Test match in a row. The band set up in the “Sanga Fan Zone” were also asked to lower their volume, but continued to play during the match.
Sangakkara appointed Sri Lanka’s ambassador to the UK:
- Kumar Sangakkara the retiring Sri Lankan great has been offered by the Sri Lankan government to be the country’s Ambassador to the United Kingdom.
Team India deserving winners, Ashwin was brilliant: Angelo Mathews:
- “We didn’t bat for time to be honest because the the wicket was pretty demanding and then it was the fourth innings. Ashwin was bowling brilliantly. He was putting a lot of pressure from one end, and from the other end the rest of the bowlers did the same. We just couldn’t hang in.
Australia rack up a consolation win:
- Australia defeated England by an innings and 46 runs on Sunday in the fifth and final Ashes Test for a consolation victory at The Oval.
BCB wishes to cut a Test from Zimbabwe series:
- The BCB is in discussion with Zimbabwe Cricket to cut one Test from the bilateral series to be held in January next year.
Can draw a lot of confidence from the 2nd Test win: KL Rahul:
- “We had a very positive frame of mind to forget what happened in the first Test and bounce back like this. We are going to draw a lot of confidence from this game and go on to the next game with a more positive and clear mind. We will look to win the series,” Rahul said.
Virat Kohli pens a farewell message to retiring Kumar Sangakkara:
- Indian Test skipper Virat Kohli wrote a heartening farewell message to the retiring legend Kumar Sangakkara, thanking him for all that he has given to the cricketing world. (Read more about the story here)
ICC hails retiring Sangakkara as “a legend of the game”:
- Congratulating Sangakkara on a highly successful career, Mr Richardson said: “Kumar Sangakkara will rightly go down as one of cricket’s greatest-ever players and ambassadors. Across an illustrious career, he maintained levels of excellence whether batting, keeping wickets or leading by example. (Read more about the story here)
Angelo MathewsAshesAshes 2015AustraliaBangladeshCricketICCIndiaKL RahulKumar SangakkaraLokesh RahulMichael ClarkeNewsRavichandran Ashwinshane warneSri LankaVirat KohliZimbabwe