Advertisement

Ben Stokes to give a “full explanation when time is right”

"He is also concerned about the impact the widespread publicity has on everyone involved including the ECB," his representative said.

England batsman Ben Stokes
England batsman Ben Stokes. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

England all-rounder Ben Stokes will be revealing his side of the story outside the Bristol nightclub, in due course, as confirmed by his agent on Thursday. He will be making public a “full explanation” of the incident which has put his Ashes spot in jeopardy.

Stokes was arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm on September 26 following an altercation with two men outside a nightclub in Bristol. He was subsequently suspended from England action until further notice and although he has been named in the Ashes squad, the ECB later announced that the 26-year-old will not be travelling to Australia with the rest of the players on October 28.

Several reports have suggested that Stokes was standing up for two homosexual men who were being abused and he has not yet been charged by Somerset & Avon police. However, until full confirmation, his involvement in the Ashes tour will depend on whether any police action is taken against him. The ECB’s Cricket Disciplinary Committee is also investigating the incident and may take further disciplinary action against England’s current Test vice-captain if found guilty.

Neil Fairbrother, Stokes’ agent with International Sports Management, said the Durham player would discuss his version of events “when the time is right” but did not wish to prejudice the investigation.

Fully cooperative with the police

“Ben explained to me the full circumstances of what happened in Bristol and I told him that he has my total support and backing,” said Neil Fairbrother in a statement. “I am aware that he has fully cooperated with the police inquiry and voluntarily provided a detailed statement on the same day as the incident. He will continue to assist the police in any way he can,” he added.

“Ben will also make public his full explanation and evidence when the time is right. On legal advice, that is not possible whilst the investigation continues and no charges have been brought forward. Ben does not wish to prejudice the process,” Niel mentioned.

“He is also concerned about the impact the widespread publicity has on everyone involved including the ECB, his team mates and the game of cricket itself which he loves. We will not be making any further comment relating to this at this time,” he further stated.

Stokes, who is also subject to internal disciplinary action, has had his central contract renewed by the ECB since his arrest. Yesterday, the sportswear company New Balance announced it terminated its sponsorship arrangement with Stokes following the incident as and particularly after the all-rounder released an apology on his Twitter account to celebrity Katie Price after a video emerged last month where he was mimicking her disabled son Harvey.

Advertisement