Debacle aftermath begins as ECB sacks Kevin Pietersen
Updated - Feb 5, 2014 4:48 am
In the wake of the Ashes debacle aftermath, ECB started doing all the things that they could do to tell the world that they are punishing the guilty. The first step was taken, as the England and Wales Cricket Board headed by Giles Clarke, the national selection committee headed by James Whitaker and the English skipper Alastair Cook jointly decided to sack their most experienced player, perhaps their best, Kevin Pietersen just ahead of the World T20 to be held in Bangladesh in March 2014.
“A premature exit and indeed a very painful one for the fans”, says my friend Debroop Roy
Ahead of the Ashes debacle, the ECB first bid farewell to Andy Flower, their test coach and appointed Paul Downtown as their new managin director. Earlier in the month, Kevin Pietersen said that the thoughts of retirement hadn’t crossed his mind yet and he was looking forward to help England regain the Ashes in 2015. The veteran of 104 tests and 136 ODIs, whose career spanned nearly close to a decade has been finally dusted by his own board. A part of 4 Ashes winning side, Kevin Pietersen is also part of two different English sides that faced 5-0 whitewashes against Australia in Australia.
The ECB is yet to explain his sacking but the motive is clear that they are planning to build a English side, blooded with energatic youngsters ahead of the Cricket World Cup to be held in 2015 in the Southern hemisphere.
- Tests (Matches: 104, Runs: 8181, H.S.: 227, Avg.: 47.28, 100s/50s: 23/35)
- ODIs (Matches: 136, Runs: 4440, H.S.: 130, Avg.: 40.73, 100s/50s: 9/25)
- T20Is (Matches: 37, Runs: 1176, H.S.: 79, Avg.: 37.93, 100s/50s: 0/7)