Every detail of Anil Kumble’s proposed coaching model
Anil Kumble demanded salary package of Rs.7.5 crores per annum for his duties towards the team.
Published - May 24, 2017 9:40 pm | Updated - May 24, 2017 9:40 pm
Former legendary spinner Anil Kumble was appointed as the Head Coach of Indian cricket team last year by the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC). Since then, Kumble has delivered many series wins for the nation. Under his guidance, India won Test series against West Indies, New Zealand, England, Bangladesh and Australia. They have performed well in the limited-overs formats as well having won ODI series against New Zealand and England and T20 series against England.
Despite all his success, people were shocked to hear his demands. He demanded Rs. 7.5 crores per annum from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for his services towards the team. He also wanted 150% hike in the retaining fees of Grade A cricketers. Last Sunday, Kumble met with the members of the BCCI and Committee of Administrators (CoA) to discuss his proposed finance model.
He showed a presentation to the members of BCCI and CoA. The title of the presentation was “Coaching set up: Indian Cricket Team”.
What’s in the presentation?
India Today has released details regarding Kumble’s presentation. The ultimate goal of the presentation was written as -“world domination in cricket across all three formats and under all conditions”. He charted out 5 components of Indian cricket, namely- BCCI, NCA, India A/U-19, Seniors, Selection Committee.
The different roles of each and every component is specified. The role of Selection Committee is to “identify talent and risk appetite”. The India A or India U-19 team should “work on bench strength and gaps” according to Anil. He clearly mentioned that each and every component must be in sync for the overall development of the nation in terms of cricket.
In the slide titled as “National Team Coaching Set Up”, Kumble has clearly mentioned the individuals he wants in his team. The slide mentioned the need of the following individuals to do the role mentioned alongside their name-
1. Head Coach – Anil Kumble
2. Assistant Coach – Sanjay Bangar
3. Batting Coach – Sanjay Bangar
4. Fast Bowling Coach – TBD
5. Training Assistant – Raghavendra
6. Computer Analyst – Ashish
7. S&C Coach – Shankar Basu
8. Physio – Patrick
9. Masseurs- Arun Kanade & Rajeev
Kumble clearly mentioned that he wants Sanjay Bangar both as the assistant and batting coach. He wrote in his presentation “Given that the Head Coach’s responsibilities span external, strategic planning and delivering on the long-term plan, he needs support in terms of ensuring that the day to day operations are carried on as per plan.
To facilitate this, he suggested Sanjay Bangar should be the Assistant Coach apart from his role as Batting Coach. He also wants a fast bowling coach to increase the pace-strength of his team.
Function of Assistant Coaches
Kumble has given the following duties to his assistants-
1. Developing the daily routine for the team
2. Ensuring practice sessions are implemented
3. Acting as the sounding board for the head coach
4. Assisting in preparations for team meetings/strategies
Function of Head Coach
For himself, Kumble has listed the following responsibilities-
1. Co-creating a compelling vision to be Rank 1 in all formats of the game and to win ICC tournaments and overseas series (like those played in Australia and England)
2. Inculcating team spirit
3. Developing plans and strategies irrespective of toss outcome, bad weather or wicket condition
4. Coordinate coalition among national team, India A and NCA
5. Develop plans for each cricketer which will include skill training, fitness training and mental conditioning