July 19, 1952 – When India lost all 20 wickets wickets inside four hours

India lasted 87 minutes and 136 minutes respectively for scoring 58 and 82 in the two innings.

Vijay Hazare India
Vijay Hazare. (Photo by S&G/PA Images via Getty Images)

View : 2.4K

2 Min Read

Get every cricket updates! Follow us on

India’s tour of England in 1952 didn’t get off to greatest of starts as the Indian team were 0-2 down in 4-match Test series. The Indian team put up some inspiring batting performances in the first two Tests but ended on the losing side only. The 3rd Test began on July 17th at the Old Trafford in Manchester with England electing to bat first. The first two days of the match were affected by rain as only 133 overs of play was possible until the end of the second day.

The English skipper Sir Len Hutton smashed 104 with ten fours during his 315-minute stay. England reached 214/2 as each of the top four partnerships included a 50+ stand. The Indian bowlers tried their best in the final session on the second day as England reached 292/7 by stumps. England declared at 347/9 on the 3rd day morning by adding 58 runs in only 11 overs to their overnight total.

20 wickets in just 223 minutes!

Fred Trueman ran through the Indian line-up as the visitors lost their top three for just five runs in four overs. They further lost half the side with only 17 runs on the board in 9.5 overs. Skipper Vijay Hazare tried to rescue along with Vijay Manjrekar as India went to Lunch at 37/5 in 17 overs. In the first over of the post-Lunch session, Manjrekar scored 8 runs off Trueman before getting dismissed.

This triggered another collapse as India lost their last five wickets in only 23 balls for 13 runs. Manjrekar was top-scorer for his 23-ball 22 while Hazare made 16 off 58 balls during his 68-minute stay. India were pummeled to 58 with Fred Trueman picking up eight wickets with four apiece in the two spells. England had no hesitation in asking India to follow on. Opener Pankaj Roy batted 20 balls in 26 minutes to avoid a pair before getting out to Trueman without scoring yet again.

Vinoo Mankad also fell cheaply as India were two wickets down for only seven runs on the board in the 9th over. Captain Hazare then put on a crucial stand with Hemu Adhikari for the 3rd wicket. The duo went into Lunch at 49/2 in 24 overs having negotiated more than 15 overs during the second session. Adhikari, however, was retired hurt scoring a 42-ball 25 in the penultimate over ahead of the Tea break.

The story of first innings repeated for Indians who collapsed by losing a wicket in the very first over after the interval. Captain Vijay Hazare got dismissed by Tony Lock after scoring yet another 16 off 51 balls. Adhikari returned to the crease at the fall of 4th wicket but lasted only four overs further adding two more runs to his tally. Tony Lock, along with Alec Bedser, ran through the Indian batting in the Post-Tea session.

India lost all their remaining eight wickets in the final session while adding up 23 runs in 12.3 overs. Bedser claimed a 5-wicket haul while Lock settled with four scalps. Thus, India was bowled out for 82 runs and became the first-ever team in the history of Test cricket to be bowled out twice in the same day of a match. India lasted 87 minutes and 136 minutes respectively for scoring 58 and 82 in the two innings. This means India batted a total of only 223 minutes for losing all their 20 wickets.

The inning and 207-run win in Manchester has helped England to take a series-winning lead of 3-0. The rain helped India to escape from a whitewash as the final Test at The Oval got abandoned due to rain. During the match, India was bowled out for 98 to record their 3rd successive inning under 100. The following-on innings of India didn’t take off as the rain intervened and washed out the remainder of the match.