PCB had asked me to accept match-fixing charges to eyewash ICC and get my life ban lifted: Saleem Malik
Malik revealed that the PCB had asked him to admit his match-fixing charges in 2013 during a meeting with the board's top officials.
Updated - Jul 11, 2020 6:30 pm
Former Pakistan international Saleem Malik was charged with match-fixing allegations in 2000. He was slapped with a life ban and he hasn’t been involved with the game since then.
In 2000, Malik was given a life ban for match-fixing by the PCB as a result of Justice Qayyam’s report. However, in a startling revelation, Malik has now said that he had accepted match-fixing charges in order to mislead ICC and get his life ban lifted.
Malik revealed that the PCB had asked him to admit his match-fixing charges in 2013 during a meeting with the board’s top officials. According to Malik, he was asked to admit the charges in order to get his life ban lifted. However, the acceptance letter is now being used against him, according to the former Pakistan batsman.
“The statement PCB is talking about is from 2013 and not 2014. I met PCB Chairman Najam Sethi, COO Subhan Ahmed and Legal Counsel, Tafazzul Rizvi, in order to get my life ban lifted,” said Malik as quoted by Cricket Pakistan.
They asked me to sign a letter: Saleem Malik
“They asked me to sign a letter, where I admitted to match-fixing, to eyewash ICC and pave the path towards my rehabilitation process. Using that letter against me is absolutely ridiculous,” he added.
While donning the Pakistan jersey, Malik scored 5768 runs in 103 Test matches and 7170 runs in 283 ODIs for Pakistan. PCB, on Friday, had stated that Malik was unable to respond to the contents of the transcripts provided by ICC of April 2000 conversation. According to the board, Malik’s response to the transcripts was irrelevant and unsatisfactory.
“You chose not to respond to the contents of the transcripts of a conversation that took place in April 2000. In the backdrop of the above, the PCB will be unable to proceed any further until such time you respond on the said matter,” the PCB said in a statement.
PCB also stated that Malik’s irrelevant and unsatisfactory response to the transcripts doesn’t rule out the admission that he made in 2014 in a letter to the then PCB chairman.
“Sir, after consultations and on my free will, I have reached a decision that I am ready to accept my wrongdoing, apologise to the fans and want to start by rehabilitation process. I fully understand the consequence of my decision and am ready to cooperate to every extent with ICC and PCB for my rehabilitation program. I would request PCB to talk to ICC if required and start my rehabilitation program at the earliest,” Malik’s statement read.