Royal Challengers Bangalore can still make it to the playoffs, here’s how
Virat Kohli may have to replicate his superlative performance yet again this season.
Published - Apr 29, 2017 2:51 pm | Updated - Apr 29, 2017 2:51 pm
Royal Challengers Bangalore have had a dismal season until now in this edition of the IPL. Much was expected from the side this year after their second place finish in 2016 and many claimed that they will clinch their maiden trophy this season. However, things haven’t turned out as expected as they find themselves in a very sticky situation.
Bangalore had to win the final four matches in the league last time around and did that handsomely, thanks to heroics from their dynamic skipper Virat Kohli. RCB have played as many as 9 games and are struggling currently with only 5 points. They have won only two matches and shared a point with the Sunrisers, losing the remainder of their matches.
However, it is not all gloomy and murky for the RCB fans at the moment. The good news is, the Virat Kohli-led side might still be able to qualify even by losing another match, provided they win the rest. It is, therefore, still a mathematical possibility that RCB can enter into the playoffs and be a contender for the silverware.
RCB have five games more to play this season. If they manage to win rest of them, they would carry as many as 15 points from 14 games. Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders have secured the top two position in the IPL. Even, Sunrisers Hyderabad look like a certainty in the third position.
With top 3 berths secured by these teams, RCB can still afford to lose one of the five remaining games, ending up with 13 points, provided the top three teams continue their domination by defeating the other teams.
Here are the permutations and combinations that could get them through:
- RCB win all their remaining 5 matches and end up with 15 points
- KKR are at 14 points after 9 matches, lose 2 from the remaining 5 matches and end up with 20 points
- MI end the league stages with 18 points, losing 3 of their 6 remaining matches
- SRH reach the third spot on the table losing 2 of their remaining 5 matches and end up with 17 points
- RPS will have to underperform and lose 5 of their next 6 games to finish with 10 points
- The other two teams GL and DD win only 3 from of their remaining matches each
- KXIP who have 6 points win another 2 matches from here
If things pan out in the said manner the final tally of the IPL table would look something like this:
|1||Kolkata Knight Riders||20|
|4||Royal Challengers Bangalore||15|
|6||Rising Pune Supergiant||10|
|7||Kings XI Punjab||10|