Saint Lucians plan for Test boycott after Darren Sammy’s sacking
Published - Aug 9, 2016 12:02 pm | Updated - Aug 9, 2016 12:02 pm
The third Test match between India and West Indies will be played at the Darren Sammy International Stadium in St Lucia, starting Tuesday. This will be the first game at the stadium after it was renamed. Sammy led his side to title triumph in the World T20 2016 earlier this year in India and following which the Stadium was given the name.
The former West Indies skipper recently revealed through a video on Facebook saying that the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) informed him that he won’t be the captain of the T20 side anymore. The sacking has disappointment the fans and a few of them have also called for a boycott of the third Test.
“Saint Lucians are asked to come and show support to the former West Indies Cricket team captain, Darren Sammy, who was slacked off from the team as captain and replaced by Carlos Brathwaite, ” a statement being circulated on social media said.
Although ticket prices have been reduced, lot of Saint Lucians has expressed their willingness to boycott the match following Sammy’s sacking.
“Calling all St. Lucian’s to boycott the games coming up next week. We are not interested, that’s why Reds and the others have been crying on the media, asking persons to attend the games in large numbers. Some St. Lucian’s “Sousea” they will flood the Stadium but not me. This is the first cricket game I’m not attending since international Cricket started in St. Lucia. I will not miss this game!! When I am not going my friends are not coming as well, as of Friday 5th, 4:00pm (43) of us have decided not to attend the games and the rest of the crew will follow the leader!!,” Clare Emmanuel said in a Facebook post.
The series had so far seen only a bunch of fans, and things will be going from bad to worse for WICB if the boycott garners support. It will surely be another black mark for West Indies cricket.