Wriddhiman Saha told CAB President that he is not in position to play for Bengal again: Wife Romi Mitra
Saha is hurt by questions that were raised about his commitment earlier, claimed his wife.
Updated - May 18, 2022 8:18 pm
Wriddhiman Saha is amidst a purple patch in IPL 2022 as the veteran stumper has scored 281 runs for the Gujarat Titans in just eight games. His opening partnership with Shubhman Gill has played a pivotal role in the success of the table-toppers Gujarat franchise.
But for the past six months, Saha has been in the news for all the wrong reasons. After his dismissal from the Test squad for the Sri Lanka series, Saha made an alarming revelation that head coach Rahul Dravid advised him to consider retirement. He landed in further controversy after an alleged altercation with senior journalist Boria Majumdar.
In the latest turn, the wicketkeeper has been named in the Bengal squad for the upcoming Ranji knockout games, but the batter is seeking a NOC as he has no interest in representing his domestic side. Saha’s wife revealed that the batter was hurt when his intent was questioned after leaving the domestic side for personal reasons earlier this season.
“A few months ago, when Wriddhi decided to skip the Ranji Trophy league stage due to personal reasons, a certain CAB official gave a statement to the media doubting his commitment. Being a senior player, who has given so much to Bengal cricket, Wriddhi was hurt with such statements,” Saha’s wife Romi Mitra was quoted as saying by Sportstar.
Apparently, Saha was included in the Bengal squad without even being consulted by the Cricket Association of Bengal.
The CAB president told him to reconsider and play the knockouts, says Wriddhiman Saha’s wife
“After the squad was announced last night, he spoke to Mr. Dalmiya today and discussed the entire issue. The CAB president told him to reconsider and play the knockouts, but Wriddhi told him that he is not in a position to play for Bengal again after so many questions were raised about his commitment,” Romi further added.
Saha’s NOC has not been approved yet and when CAB president Avishek Dalmiya was asked about Saha’s allegations, he chose not to make any new revelation.
“Any discussion that happens between a player and an organization is strictly between that player and the organization. I would like to completely refrain from making any comments at this stage,” said Dalmiya.