25 Turn of events had the 1983 World Cup win happened today
Here is a list of possible scenarios that would've unfolded, if the first ever World Cup victory for the Indian team had come in the present era.
Published - Jun 25, 2017 3:47 pm | Updated - Jun 25, 2017 3:47 pm
It’s been 34 long years since that day in 1983 when an underdog Indian team under the able leadership of Kapil Dev went on to topple a legendary West Indian batting lineup for a paltry 140. A time when cricket wasn’t as deeply rooted in the blood of a billion people as it is today. A time when cricket was just any other sport for India. A time when cricket was not a religion, a time when God of Cricket was yet to make his debut on the field.
Here is a list of possible scenarios that would’ve unfolded, if the first ever World Cup victory for the Indian team had come in the present era. What would’ve been the reactions, what kind of rewards would’ve been announced and everything as we have a hilarious take on how things would have changed after more than 3 decades of the memorable win:
1. The government would’ve announced a cash prize 1cr for each player. BCCI would’ve tried to match that before the CoA and the Lodha panel would come at the behest.
2. Billionaires would’ve gifted them luxury cars while the airlines would’ve offered them free air travel except for Kingfisher due to obvious reasons; to add to it Ola and Uber would be more than willing to give them free drop and pick up from the airport.
3. Some random model looking for fame would’ve posted a naked pic on Instagram. Hopefully, she would stand by it.
4. Their Twitter and Facebook accounts would’ve got instantly verified and additional million followers with fan wars becoming their daily dosage of entertainment.
5. Amitabh Bachchan would’ve had to share his ‘Baadshah’ tag with Kapil Dev.
6. News channels would cover the World Cup win instead of covering what UP CM had for his breakfast
7. The government would’ve renamed some road to Kapil Dev Marg.
8. Instead of har har Modi, ghar ghar Modi, it would have be har har MOHI, ghar ghar MOHI. (Mohinder Amarnath)
9. Cricket Mukti Morcha, a revolutionary group of 10 men would’ve demanded a statue of Kapil Dev in the middle of the Arabian Sea.
10. Haryana government would’ve awarded him a petrol pump; to acquire which he would struggle to actual 2017.
11. Kapil Dev would take a selfie from his iPhone 7 plus rather than using a black and white camera.
12. Bishan Bedi instead of Harbhajan would demand 10 years of permanent resident status in the national team as a mark of respect.
13. Kapil Dev would be the brand ambassador for Boost while Ravi Shastri will root for Haywards 2000, soda of course!
14. India would’ve had a Binny in the team who actually performed.
15. There would’ve been firecrackers named after Kapil & Co. Kapil Double Bomb since allrounder, Mohinder Atom Bomb (makes a loud noise).
16. For a change, the wicketkeeper (Syed Kirmani) would be bald like Anupam Kher and not like John Abraham (MS Dhoni early days)
17. Syed Kirmani’s moustache would be the most talked about thing in town.
18. Dilip Vengesarkar would actually be remembered for his batting exploits and not for reinstating careers of some Mumbai cricketers.
19. Trolls on social media would remember Sunil Valson as the guy who was picked in the squad because they needed to select 15 players. He would be rewarded the ‘Begaani shaadi mein Abdullah deewana’ title for his immense contribution as the water boy.
20. Gavaskar would endorse Complan where he would appear in the what if you don’t give your child Complan picture.
21. There would be a headline on how Gavaskar set the legacy of the masters not performing in finals which would be followed by masters in the future.
22. Kirti Azad would be on the DD National with a bat rather than a mic
23. Krishnamachari Srikanth would be declared as Thalaiva in South India.
24. Madan Lal would be the forgotten hero of 1983 WC finals as the decision to award the Man of the Match to Amarnath would be debated for years. Isn’t this quite a Gambhir topic now?
25. Balwinder Sandhu would be made the brand ambassador of ‘stop drugs’ campaign in Punjab.
Disclaimer: We so much wish it was true for the drama that would unfold but all the characters, story, content is a work of fiction and meant for entertainment purpose only.