4 First-choice overseas players for each team in IPL 2020
One of highlighting features of the IPL has been the intermingling of players from across the globe and their unison under one roof of franchise-based cricket.
Updated - Jul 18, 2020 1:00 pm
Ever since its inception, the Indian Premier League became a league of eminence and stature. It had a unique vision and exclusive ideology that replenished the sport and gave it a new dimension. IPL has inculcated immense commerce in cricket. It has generated city-based cults like never before and has thrown the stage open for cricket beyond nations.
There was not much to look beyond international cricket earlier, but IPL broke the orthodoxy and brought refreshing changes. It has done wonders in terms of giving a platform to those who were restricted to narrower worlds and has ensured their interaction with the best in the business. It is through IPL that many found footing, became players of substance, and later gained prominence in the international arena.
If not for this ghastly pandemic, IPL’s current season would have been long over. However, the dates for the marquee event are yet to be announced as the BCCI has been constantly mulling over the available slots and possibilities of conduct. There have been innumerable speculations pertaining to the tournament, the presence of overseas players, the organizing, and the logistics, however, not much has been confirmed officially as yet.
One of highlighting features of the IPL has been the intermingling of players from across the globe and their unison under one roof of franchise-based cricket. Over the years, many foreign players have built such strong emotional connect with the fan base of their franchise that they have become dearer to the supporters than the national players. From the perspective of making an impact in the tournament as well, the contribution of overseas players has been enormous.
Assuming that the IPL will be held in the presence of overseas players, let’s take a look at the strongest 4 overseas contenders for every franchise this year:
1. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- AB de Villiers – AB is an absolute giant no matter which format of the game. Given his batting pyrotechnics, cunning wicket-keeping, and astounding fielding abilities, he is a default pick in the side. Being away from all forms of cricket since long, it remains to be seen how he comes out after such an extended spell of inactivity. Having said that, he is ABD and there is barely a thing he cannot do on the field.
- Aaron Finch – A valuable new addition in the side, this Victorian is known for his explosive and belligerent batting up the order. Having played for as many as 7 different IPL franchises in his IPL career, ‘Finchy’ was picked by the RCB last year. He is a competitive cricketer with ample experience in limited-overs cricket and will strengthen the top-order of RCB in the coming edition.
- Chris Morris – The versatile quick from South Africa has the ability to bowl during any segment of the game. Morris has been a handy death-bowler as well as someone who has troubled batsmen with the new ball straight up. Apart from his sorted bowling skills, he is also known for his dangerous striking down the order. Even though his looks may suggest otherwise, Morris has the power to clear the boundary at will.
- Dale Steyn – The ferocious and ruthless speedster from South Africa needs no introduction whatsoever. The ‘Steyn-gun’ has been firing down batsmen of all kinds since long and his run is going to continue without any restriction this year as well. RCB had certain issues, specifically in their overseas-pace department, but having picked the likes of Kane Richardson and Isuru Udana around Steyn this year, their bowling unit has been revamped for the good.