All-Round Effort – 50 and a 5-fer in the same ODI
Updated - Jan 15, 2015 4:12 am
All-Round Effort – 50 and a 5-fer in the same ODI: An all-rounder is the biggest asset of a team. He can bat and bowl with the equal pace. He can win you matches with either bat or ball or even both. All-rounders may serve via bat one day and with the ball the other day but it is hard for any player in the game of cricket to perform both with the bat and the ball in the same match. Scoring a half-century with the bat and taking a 5-wicket haul with the ball are equally cherished feats for a cricketer but there are some extraordinary players who, on their day, were able to perform both for their teams.
A total of 15 players on 17 different occasions, have scored atleast 50 and have taken atleast 5 wickets in the same ODI. First one being Sir Vivian Richards and the latest being Josh Davey. The list includes:
|Player||Runs Scored||Wickets Taken||Opposition||Match Date|
|Vivian Richards (WI)||119||5||New Zealand||18 Mar 1987|
|Krishnamachari Srikkanth (IND)||70||5||New Zealand||10 Dec 1988|
|Mark Waugh (AUS)||57||5||West Indies||15 Dec 1992|
|Lance Klusener (SA)||54||6||Sri Lanka||6 Nov 1997|
|Abdul Razzaq (PAK)||70*||5||India||21 Jan 2000|
|Graeme Hick (ENG)||80||5||Zimbabwe||20 Feb 2000|
|Shahid Afridi (PAK)||61||5||England||27 Oct 2000|
|Saurav Ganguly (IND)||71*||5||Zimbabwe||11 Dec 2000|
|Scott Styris (NZ)||63*||6||West Indies||12 Jun 2002|
|Ronnie Irani (ENG)||53||5||India||9 Jul 2002|
|Chris Gayle (WI)||60||5||Australia||1 Jun 2003|
|Paul Collingwood (ENG)||112*||6||Bangladesh||21 Jun 2005|
|Sunil Dhaniram (CAN)||79||5||Bermuda||29 Jun 2008|
|Yuvraj Singh (IND)||50*||5||Ireland||6 Mar 2011|
|Shahid Afridi (PAK)||75||5||Sri Lanka||20 Nov 2011|
|Shahid Afridi (PAK)||76||7||West Indies||14 Jul 2013|
|Josh Davey (SCOT)||53*||6||Afghanistan||14 Jan 2015|
- Shahid Afridi remains the only player to achieve this feat more than once in his career (3 times). The remaining 14 players could manage the same just once in their career.
- 100 runs and 5-fer in the same match: Vivian Richards and Paul Collingwood
- 50 runs and 6 wickets in the same match: Lance Klusener, Scott Styris, Paul Collingwood, Shahid Afridi and Josh Davey
- 50 runs and 7 wickets in the same match: Shahid Afridi
- Only Sunil Dhaniram’s effort came in a losing cause.
- Yuvraj Singh’s effort came in a World Cup match.
- Sunil Dhaniram and Josh Davey are the only players, not from a Test nation, to achieve this feat.
*All stats updated till 15th January 2015.