Celtic Cup returns and youth tri-series announced as Cricket Ireland name the squads
The Celtic Cup and the Youth Tri Series will both commence on Monday, August 15.
View : 810
3 Min Read
DUBLIN – Cricket Ireland has announced a further programme of national youth fixtures, including the return of the Celtic Cup and a youth tri-series to begin next week.
Albert van der Merwe, National Pathway Manager for Cricket Ireland, said:
“It is fantastic to see the return of the highly competitive Celtic Cup between Ireland’s and Scotland’s under-17s boys squads. While this has become a keenly followed series at the underage level, we haven’t been able to play the fixtures over the last two years due to the pandemic. The hosting of the series typically alternates each year between countries and this year we welcome the Scots to Bangor and Stormont. For many players, the Celtic Cup is their first taste of international cricket and touring life, so the value of the competition in a player’s early development is immense – and this year we’ve also built in a rest day so the two squads can attend the fifth T20 International between Ireland and Afghanistan. The total experience for the players is invaluable.
“We are also fortunate enough this year to be able to avail of two true legends of Irish cricket – Andre Botha and Jeremy Bray – who will coach the squad. The amount of knowledge and experience that Andre and Jeremy will be able to call upon will make this an additionally valuable week for the players.
“As for the second series next week, this will be a Tri-Series featuring Ireland Under-19 Women’s squad, Ireland Cubs and a Middlesex Cricket Schools Association touring team to be played at Oak Hill.
“This will series give Ireland Under-19 Women’s Head Coach Glenn Querl an opportunity to look at some players before a training squad is selected for the World Cup in South Africa in January 2023. The squad chosen has a mix of senior international experience in Amy Hunter and Georgina Dempsey, and a number of players who have featured in the Arachas Super Series. There are also some younger players who have caught the eye on recent Ireland youth trips, where they have displayed some exciting T20 skills.”
All matches will be livescored on Cricket Ireland’s Match Centre.
CELTIC CUP – Fixtures and Squad
- Monday 15 August – Bangor Cricket Club (50-over match; 10.45am start)
- Tuesday 16 August – Bangor Cricket Club (2 x T20 matches; 10.30am start / 2.45pm start)
- Wednesday 17 August – rest day
- Thursday 18 August – Stormont (50-over match; 10.45am start)
Ireland Under-17s squad:
- Mohammed Aahil (Instonians)
- Eoin Birch (Balbriggan)
- Macdara Cosgrave (Pembroke)
- Aaron Doyle (Malahide)
- Harry Dyer (CSNI)
- Daniel Forkin (Merrion)
- Ryan Hunter (CSNI)
- Finn Lutton (CSNI)
- Carson McCullough (CIYMS)
- Aaron McGeehan (Clontarf)
- John McNally (Clontarf)
- Gavin Roulston (Bready)
- Luke Thomson (Clontarf)
- Donncha Tucker (Pembroke)
- Andre Botha and Jeremy Bray
Note: Philippe le Roux (Railway Union) and Scott Macbeth (Bready) is in the Ireland Academy team that will play England U19’s at Loughborough next week. Reuben Wilson will be rested for next week, as he only returns from the Ireland U15 tour to the UK on Friday evening. (read more).
- Monday 15 August – Ireland Cubs v Middlesex Schools Cricket Association (Oak Hill; T20 match; 3pm start)
- Tuesday 16 August – Ireland U19 Women v Middlesex Schools Cricket Association (Oak Hill; T20 match; 10.45am start)
- Tuesday 16 August – Ireland U19 Women v Ireland Cubs (Oak Hill; T20 match; 2.45pm start)
- Wednesday 17 August – Ireland Cubs v Middlesex Schools Cricket Association (Oak Hill; T20 match; 10.45am start)
- Wednesday 17 August – Ireland U19 Women v Middlesex Schools Cricket Association (Oak Hill; T20 match; 2.45pm start)
- Thursday 18 August – Ireland Cubs v Middlesex Schools Cricket Association (Oak Hill; T20 match; 10.45am start)
- Thursday 18 August – Ireland Cubs v Ireland U19 Women (Oak Hill; T20 match; 2.45pm start)
Ireland Under-19 Women’s squad:
- Zara Craig (Eglinton)
- Georgina Dempsey (YMCA)
- Abbi Harrison (Waringstown)
- Amy Hunter (Instonians/Malahide)
- Jennifer Jackson (Eglinton)
- Joanna Loughran (Leinster)
- Niamh MacNulty (Merrion)
- Aimee Maguire (The Hills)
- Kia McCartney (Coleraine)
- Ellie McGee (Rush)
- Isabelle McLean (Balbriggan)
- Julie McNally (Clontarf)
- Freya Sargent (Clontarf)
- Annabel Squires (Merrion)
- Alice Walsh (Clontarf)
- Siúin Woods (YMCA)
- Glenn Querl