New Zealand Cricket Chief optimistic about safety of members ahead of tour to Pakistan
The Kiwis are scheduled to play two Test matches and three One Day internationals against Pakistan in December
View : 1.2K
2 Min Read
The New Zealand team is finally ready to travel to Pakistan for a Test and One Day series in December and January after backing out because of security reasons previously. New Zealand Cricket chief David White is now confident about the safety and security of all the players and support staff after sending a group of four men to check the details in person.
The Kiwis are scheduled to play two Test matches and three One Day internationals in the winter while they’ll once again travel in April and May to play five ODIs and five T20Is to make up for their previous tour. White also mentioned him being in touch with the Pakistan authorities to host the series without any complication.
“We sent over a reconnaissance team of four people, they went to all the venues, all the hotels etc. And they worked very closely with the Pakistan authorities, Pakistan cricket and embassies and the like over there. We’ve also obviously been talking regularly with the New Zealand government, so we’re proceeding with the tour and looking forward to it,” said the 61-year-old as quoted by stuff.co.nz
However, the former cricketer is not sure whether the players are keen to tour Pakistan. He is yet to have any dialogue with the players but said to have updated them with the future schedule.
“I’ve had no other discussions with players [on that topic] – Heath [NZ Cricket Players’ Association chief Heath Mills] and I have been regularly updating the players, so at this stage that appears to be the situation,” he added.
Karachi will be hosting the first Test of the series from December 27 while the second Test will be played in Multan from January 4. The ODI series will begin on 11th of January.
Players will be free to play in the IPL, it will be players' choice: David White
New Zealand’s white-ball series against Pakistan in the months of April and May will be clashing with the 16th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). Thus, it’s likely that some players may opt-out of the Pakistan series to play in the cash-rich league. Chief Executive Officer, David White assured that the decision will be in the hands of all the players and the board will not get involved.
“Players will be free to play in the IPL – it will be player choice,” White said.