IPL 2021: KKR vs RCB encounter postponed with COVID-19 concerns in Kolkata camp

IPL 2021: KKR vs RCB encounter postponed with COVID-19 concerns in Kolkata camp

The Indian Premier League has been hit by another COVID-19 shock.

Kolkata Knight Riders Celebrating
Kolkata Knight Riders Celebrating. (Photo Source: IPL/BCCI)

The Indian Premier League has been hit by another COVID-19 shock, with Kolkata Knight Riders players and staff isolating themselves after multiple players have reportedly fallen ill. As per sources, several members of the KKR setup, including Australian pacer Pat Cummins, are unwell.

A BCCI official confirmed that there are cases in the KKR camp and the RCB camp isn’t too keen to take the field against them. “Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier tested positive and that made the RCB camp wary of the situation. The game is set to be postponed,” the official said. Keeping them aside, no other player has tested positive thus far.

CricTracker understands that the Kolkata Knight Riders’ IPL fixture against Royal Challengers Bangalore on Monday (3rd May 2021) is being rescheduled. Reportedly, the BCCI office has communicated with the local organizers at Ahmedabad (Monday’s game’s venue) and Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA) has been told that the game will be rescheduled. The new date for the match will be announced on Monday afternoon, the GCA members have been told.

This is a massive setback for the organizers as questions and voices around the conduction of the IPL were already being raised vehemently. Earlier, BCCI assured the players that they are safe and the tournament will go ahead as scheduled, despite top stars pulling out of the tournament midway.

Amid the rising concerns around health and future impositions, IPL 2021 has already witnessed multiple opt-outs, with as many as five players – Ravichandran Ashwin (family concerns), Liam Livingstone (bubble-fatigue), Andrew Tye (worsening situation), Kane Richardson, Adam Zampa (personal reasons) – pulling out in the recent past. However, the BCCI had earlier clarified its stance that the tournament is set to go as per the schedule. It is also learned that the apex body has sent a letter to all the IPL members urging them not to quit.

Meanwhile, IPL COO Hemang Amin has assured all players and support staff that the BCCI will ensure their smooth return at the end of the league. It was also conveyed that the BCCI will “try and facilitate the travel of players” who are leaving, in consultation with the franchise.

We’re working and talking closely with the ACA: Cricket Australia Chief

The tournament is being played behind closed doors with teams staying in biosecure bubbles. The event is due to end in late May.

CA chief Nick Hockley told SEN on Monday that no plans were yet in place to bring Australians home via a charter flight. “There’s no suggestion at the moment of any charter flight,” Hockley told Melbourne radio station SEN.

“We’re working closely and talking closely with the ACA (Australian Cricketers’ Association), with the players and with the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) to make sure everyone’s okay and the people have got full information.