MSK Prasad’s replacement to be named soon, hints BCCI President Sourav Ganguly
MSK Prasad was appointed as the Indian cricket chief selector back in 2016.
Updated - Dec 28, 2019 12:39 pm
In the 88th Annual General Meeting held earlier this month it was decided that the tenure of current chief selector MSK Prasad will not be extended. The West Indies series was expected to be his last series at the supreme post in the selection committee but there have been no developments over the same. In a recent development, Sourav Ganguly, the BCCI President has opened up on when the appointment process will take place.
MSK Prasad was appointed as the chief Indian selector back in 2016 and successfully completed his three years. However, there were reports that he might get an extension but that was not the case. The chairman of selectors MSK Prasad and Gagan Khoda are likely to be replaced because of them completing their fixed terms. Devang Gandhi, Jatin Paranjpe and Sarandeep Singh, who have a year left in their term, are set to continue.
Sourav Ganguly opines on new appointments in the selection panel
Sourav Ganguly said that they will announce the names soon as only two recruitments are to be made in the selection panel. He also added the fact that it will only take two or three days to form cricket advisory committee and there is no point of taking the names because when the board approaches the players, they take a couple of days to respond. However, they will soon give an update over the same.
“Only two selectors need to be named. We will take two or three days to form the CAC. There is no point in throwing up names because when we approach the players (for CAC), they take a couple of days to respond. We will have an update soon,” BCCI President Sourav Ganguly said as quoted by Hindustan Times.
BCCI President was also asked about the four-nation tournament. In reply to it, Ganguly said that it is just a proposal in their quest to introduce a good competitive tournament. They have to get clearances from ICC as well as from the broadcasters and then they need to check where they can fit this type of event. However, if all these points get covered then fans can expect a thrilling competition in the near future.
“It’s a proposal. Let’s see where it goes. The reason behind it is only to have a good, competitive tournament. So, that’s where it stands. We will have to get clearances from the broadcasters and ICC for a four-nation tournament. Then, there are the Future Tours Programme (FTP) areas to look at, as to where do we fit it within the FTP. But it’s just a way to create a niche tournament,” Ganguly added.
Watch: Junior Dala’s perfect yorker to Chris Gayle in MSL 2019