South Africa vs Pakistan: Ranking scenarios for the ODI series
South Africa are placed at the fourth position while Pakistan are nine points behind at fifth at the moment.
Published - Jan 9, 2019 6:40 pm | Updated - Jan 9, 2019 6:40 pm
Pakistan have already lost the three-match Test series against South Africa and will be playing the final game to avoid the whitewash. While there is little for them to fight for in the whites now, the visitors will be eyeing a triumph in the limited-overs format now. After the conclusion of the Tests, both the teams will lock horns in the five One-Day Internationals.
South Africa won the three-match ODI series against Australia in their own den and are high on confidence. Given that they are playing this series at home, the Proteas enter the contest as favourites clearly. However, they will still be haunting the way India had hammered them last year at the same time thanks to their wrist spinners. Even Pakistan have quality spinners in their ranks and the tourists can’t be counted out completely.
Pakistan, however, are in desperate need of turning things around in the 50-over format. Since Asia Cup, they’ve largely struggled and also failed to win the series against New Zealand at home. Placed at the fifth position in the ICC rankings with 102 points, Sarfraz Ahmed‘s men would be looking to win the series and a clinical series victory will see them getting close to their opponents who are currently ranked fourth (111 points).
For the rainbow nation, if they continue their utter dominance on Pakistan on this tour then they can trump New Zealand to seal the third position. However, the position can’t be guaranteed as the Kiwis will be playing in the ODI series at that point in time and they will have to lose it.
Here’s how the ODI team rankings will affect after this series:
1. South Africa 5 – 0 Pakistan: This result will leave Pakistan cricket at crossroads as they will slump to the sixth place by losing four points. The hosts will seal the second position, however, it will also depend on the result of New Zealand vs India series.
2. South Africa 4 – 1 Pakistan: Pakistan will lose three points in this case while South Africa will get close to the elusive second place with 114 points to their name.
3. South Africa 3 – 2 Pakistan: If the home side loses two matches in this series, they will neither lose nor gain any point while the Men in Green will lose a point thereby retaining their existing rankings.
4. South Africa 2 – 3 Pakistan: If Pakistan manage to pull off a sensational series win they will gain a point to go up to 103 and South Africa will lose two points with no shufflings in the rankings.
5. South Africa 1 – 4 Pakistan: This will be utter domination from Pakistan and are certain to be rewarded in this case. They will gain three points (105) while the rainbow nation loses four points and the gap between the two teams will become less.
6. South Africa 0 – 5 Pakistan: Now the possibility of this happening is very grim but you never know with Pakistan. They can surprise any team on their day and whitewash will reward them with a fourth position in the rankings. South Africa, however, will lose six rating points and slump to the fifth place.
Get the latest Cricket News and updates from South Africa vs Pakistan series, Match Predictions, Fantasy Cricket Tips and lots more on CricTracker.com.