Sri Lanka reject PCB’s request to tour their country
Shahryar Khan has said that the deadlock with India over this bilateral series issue is one of the most disappointing aspects of his career.
Updated - Jul 28, 2017 3:05 pm
The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has rejected Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) request to tour their country and play a 2-match T20I series in October. The horrors of the past seem to have played a big role in SLC turning down this request. PCB chief Shahryar Khan told to the media that the Lankan board is not willing to send their team to Pakistan after the terror attacks on the Sri Lankan cricket team in 2009.
Khan told the media that the Lankan board officials were given an invitation during the ICC meetings. He apparently had requested for a complete tour where the T2I0 matches will be conducted in Pakistan and the ODIs and Tests will be played in UAE. He said he was surprised that the SLC rejected their proposal.
“I had spoken to my Sri Lankan cricket counterpart during the ICC meetings and I had invited him to send his team to Lahore to play the T20 matches and start the series against Pakistan with rest of matches to be played in the UAE,” Khan said.
“I am a bit surprised at Sri Lankan’s refusal because terror attacks are happening everywhere in the world and sports events are still going on. It is unfair to just single out Pakistan for security reasons,” he added.
“ICC happy with the arrangements made for PSL final”
Since those terror attacks in 2009, no country has shown interest to send their teams to Pakistan resulting in a massive financial set back for PCB. But the inception of Pakistan Super League (PSL) came in as a huge boost for the locals and the board. Shahryar Khan also added that ICC was happy with the arrangements made for the PSL final which was conducted in March.
“The ICC and other security experts of cricket boards had come to Lahore to see for themselves the security arrangements and some shortcomings were pointed out which we promised to resolve but overall they were all satisfied with the way security was provided for the final,” he said.
Pakistan are going to host a World XI game against the Pakistan side that won the Champions Trophy, but the PCB chief expressed his dissent over the silence maintained over the hosting of this tour match. Cricket administrator Giles Clarke apparently had met Khan in an ICC event and they had finalised the budget for these tour matches which will be held from September 12.
“I met Giles Clarke recently in London and we finalized the budget details and other aspects of the World eleven tour but since the attack took place we don’t know the situation. But we are confident that the tour will go ahead eventually,” he stated.
“Deadlock with India over bilateral series is disappointing”
Back in 2009, India had to tour Pakistan for a full fledged series but due to the terror attacks in 2008, India had stepped away. Sri Lanka eventually filled the void and traveled to Pakistan and suffered a life threatening attack, which they thankfully escaped without casualties. Since then, the BCCI has been very reluctant in accepting a bilateral series with Pakistan.
Shahryar Khan has said that the deadlock with India over this bilateral series issue is one of the most disappointing aspects of his career. He added that their inability to resume cricket in Pakistan too was a major disappointment.
“But not being able to resume international cricket in Pakistan and the deadlock with India over bilateral series remain a disappointment for me. Because Pakistan should not be isolated like this as an international venue,” he said.