The Delhi police treated me like a terrorist: S Sreesanth

facts about S Sreesanth
S Sreesanth. (Photo Source: AFP)

Despite being acquitted of the charges against him, S Sreesanth has been in the news lately after revealing all of the things he went through to Dennis Freedman on his podcast. However, while the media has indeed created a terrible image of him, the fact remains that he has not gotten to tell his side of the story. Till now at least.

Speaking about his arrest, S Sreesanth began by stating, “I was never drunk on that day. I was just coming back from an injury. It was just a made up story by the police. They did not even have an arrest warrant. So, it was more of a kidnap by the police more than anything else. They told me that I was being taken to Delhi for questioning, and they said nothing about betting. They said that they had information about some people and wanted clarification on that. It was not like an official arrest.”

“I came to know once I landed in Delhi how bad that is. The moment I landed, if I was drunk and out of my senses, I would not have been able to understand what was happening. We were not aware because my phone was also taken from me. It was more like being treated like a terrorist. There were about 60-70 commandos. There was also a bullet-proof vehicle for me as well. We were treated like we were international criminals.”


Also read – Curator promises run-fest in final T20I between India and England in Bangalore

He also described his experience in prison as horrifying. “After 12 days, I was sent to Tihar Jail. I was in a dormitory with 450 criminals inside. I was in jail for 27 days, the experience was horrific. They also said something about money laundering and mentions of Dawood (Ibrahim). They also apparently had a conversation between the two of us as well. There was a voice test as well which I passed. They eventually had nothing against me. I got my bail on the 27th day in Tihar.”

“I went back to my house, but I was really scared. I was depressed for 2 months. My dad had an open heart surgery. My mother had some problems with depression as well. My family and friends started doubting me and I had to wait 2 years for the case to get over.”

Speaking about the over which many people believed was fixed, Sreesanth went on to add, “ I kept a low-profile and kept believing and get the black and white written from the court, everything will be fine. I knew that I would never be involved even in my wildest dreams. Everyone knows how I play cricket. I was accused of giving away 14 runs in 6 balls. I didn’t even bowl a wide or a no-ball that day. The batsmen were (Adam) Gilchrist and Shaun Marsh. Everybody knows how good they are.”

“If I had done that on 9th May, they should have arrested me on that day. They didn’t do that. There was a plan behind it that I didn’t know. Now, I’m back to my normal life. I got married and I’m getting back to my normal life.”

Also read – Playing under McCullum for the Heat was amazing: Ben Heazlett

He went on to state that he would try to take his chances whilst adding that he would not be looking for war due to certain individuals. However, he also went on to add that he would approach through the legal system in case the BCCI was indeed failing him. “I will surely take them to court if I don’t get the permissions. I did not get any suspension letter or email. There is no proof of the ban whatsoever.”

Finally, Sreesanth spoke about the slapping incident that embroiled his and Harbhajan Singh’s name. “The slapping incident goes back to 2008. It was not really a slap, it was more like an elbow. I still call him ‘Bhajji Pa’ and he is someone I look up to. The media, in fact, came up with a lot of things. He was very irritated because he was the captain of Mumbai Indians and I was playing for the Kings XI Punjab which is his home state.”

“I just went up to him at the end of the match and said ‘hard luck’ and it was more like a punch rather than a slap. I cried because I’m emotional. I did not want to fight back.

Also read – Watch: MS Dhoni stops play for few minutes during the 2nd T20I against England