Threat for New Zealand team generated from India, claims Pakistan Minister

Threat for New Zealand team generated from India, claims Pakistan Minister

India’s foreign ministry is yet to revert over the said claims.

New Zealand Cricket Team
New Zealand Cricket Team. (Photo by MUNIR UZ ZAMAN/AFP via Getty Images)

Earlier last week, New Zealand called off their limited-overs tour of Pakistan citing security concerns. Upon reaching the Rawalpindi stadium, the Blackcaps found something strange with regards to security arrangements in place and issued a statement of their wish to return to their country. This sudden U-turn from New Zealand (NZC) was met with severe backlash from several former Pakistani cricketers and their supporters.

Several reports claimed that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) suspected a role of the British Government in New Zealand suspending the tour. While, now a recent report has emerged the Blackcaps returned to New Zealand because an email had come from India, Pakistan’s information minister said on Wednesday (22 September).

Meanwhile, the NZC also announced in a statement that they are calling off the tour because they were aware of the security threats, which they told they won’t reveal publicly. After quarantining in Dubai, New Zealand squad members reached their country. But Pakistan information minister claims that the threat had indeed come via email generated in India.

“This email was generated from India through VPN showing the location of Singapore,” Chaudhry told reporters in Pakistan’s capital according to Times of India.

On the other hand, India’s foreign ministry are yet to revert to the accusation made by Chaudhry. The political tension between India and Pakistan is a known fact. Meanwhile, Pakistan’s information minister also said that West Indies were also sent a threat via email, which was fake. The Caribbean team are due to tour Pakistan in December.

England withdraws their tour of Pakistan

After the New Zealand team suspended the tour of Pakistan, even England called off their men’s and women’s tours of Pakistan, which were scheduled in October. The men’s team was supposed to play two T20Is ahead of the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup but now that tour won’t go ahead as per ECB.

What was turning to be cricket’s resumption in Pakistan with New Zealand touring them has now turned to be a no-show. Although in recent times teams like South Africa, Sri Lanka, and Zimbabwe have played in Pakistan without any threats. It remains to be seen if New Zealand as well England play the series against Pakistan at a neutral venue.