What happened in the cricket world today – April 8
Here is the wrap-up of the day from the world of cricket.
Updated - Apr 8, 2021 9:01 pm
1. I don’t think IPL 2021 will be MS Dhoni’s last: CSK CEO Kasi Viswanathan
The CSK skipper had announced his retirement from international cricket in August last year, just a few days before the start of IPL 2020. At that time, the cricket fraternity was expecting him to hang his boots at the end of the tournament.
2. IPL 2021: Aakash Chopra picks his Sunrisers Hyderabad’s (SRH) starting XI
Former cricketer-turned-commentator Aakash Chopra has picked Sunrisers Hyderabad’s ideal playing XI for IPL 2021. The fourteenth edition of the tournament is scheduled to start on April 9 with a clash between defending champions Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers Bangalore in Chennai.
3. You look at Rishabh Pant and feel geez wish I could do that as well: Pat Cummins
Despite warming the bench in the first Test match, Pant made a comeback in the Playing XI in the second game and ended up as the highest run-getter for India with 274 runs.
4. India still set to host T20 World Cup; ICC working on back-up plans amid COVID-19 surge
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has stated that the T20 World Cup is still on course to be held in India later this year despite the sudden spike in the COVID-19 cases.
5. ICC announces Player of the Month nominations for March
The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the nominees for the ICC Player of the Month Awards for the month of March to recognize the best performances from both male and female cricketers across all forms of international cricket.
6. ‘It was definitely done on purpose’ – Shaun Pollock opines on Quinton de Kock’s fielding act to dismiss Fakhar Zaman
However, the controversial run-out of Pakistan’s opening batsman Fakhar Zaman is still the focal point of discussion among the cricket fraternity with everyone coming up with their own assumptions and theories.
7. India still set to host T20 World Cup; ICC working on back-up plans amid COVID-19 surge
The marquee event was originally scheduled to take place last year in Australia but had to be postponed due to the pandemic. Later, India got the hosting rights for the competition.
8. Sarfaraz Khan leaves Chris Gayle in splits with hilarious imitation of Daren Sammy
Sarfaraz Khan hilariously copied Sammy’s batting style and did it with perfection. Gayle started laughing and was also heard saying: “Yeah that’s Sammy, that’s Sammy”, while few others were clapping.