Windies’ World Cup prospects get a boost as Bravos, Narine, Pollard set to return to the national side
The Windies haven’t made another final of the World Cup in 35 years ever since 1983.
Published - Jul 24, 2018 11:20 pm | Updated - Jul 24, 2018 11:20 pm
This could be good news for two-time world champions Windies ahead of the next year’s ICC World Cup, for which they had to play the qualify this year. Following talks between the players and Cricket West Indies (CWI), a return of top players like the Bravo brothers, Sunil Narine and Kieron Pollard to the Caribbean ODI side now looks to be a distinct possibility.
The development was facilitated by the CWI’s decision to move their next domestic 50-over contest to October this year from February next year as it meant lesser chances of a clash between the Super50 and various other domestic Twenty20 leagues that the Windies’ players often play.
“The overall message to Pollard, the Bravo brothers and Narine was ‘come and play in the Super50 Cup’, so that Courtney [Browne, chairman of selectors] and his selection panel will have all the players in system playing,” Johnny Grave, CWI CEO, was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo.
The massive boost for Windies’ cricket
He also said that the move will help the selectors judge the young players by seeing their performance against quality players like Bravo, Narine, and Pollard – names that dominate the Indian Premier League every summer.
Browne, a former national wicket-keeper, said that he was keen to see the players in action and believed it (Super50) was an important preparatory tournament for them ahead of the world cup.
The Windies had won the first two editions of the limited-overs World Cup in 1975 and 1979 and then finished as the runners-up in 1983. They haven’t made another final in 35 years since then.
The development would also see an improvement in the difficult relationship between the board and the players, if not fully resolve the issues. This has been a difficult year with Narine, Pollard, and Bravo choosing to play in Pakistan Super League and not in the qualifiers for the 2019 world cup, leaving the board very dejected.
In April, these players alleged that they were denied an opportunity to help the Caribbeans by being ignored for a Hurricane Relief charity match between the Windies and a World XI team.
For more news and developments, stay tuned on CricTracker.com.