AB de Villiers steps down as ODI skipper makes an announcement on the future
"Playing for South Africa is and will always be the greatest privilege of my life," de Villiers said.
Updated - Aug 23, 2017 8:25 pm
South African maestro AB de Villiers has stepped down from his position as the ODI captain. The South African side had a disastrous tour of England earlier this year and they also suffered a painful exit from the Champions Trophy 2017. There were talks about AB coming back into the Test team after the Proteas suffered a humiliating series loss at the hands of Joe Root’s England.
South Africa lost the series 3-1 and the chants for an ABD comeback got louder. He sent out a video to his fans. “A lot has been said and written over the past 12 months, and I feel it is time to make my position absolutely clear. Over the past year or so, I have tried to manage my commitments. I felt mentally and physically tired, my wife and I are bringing up two fantastic kids, and playing in all three formats ever since 2004 and has taken its toll,” he said.
Team before myself
“Together with cricket South Africa, we have tried to develop a viable schedule, which allows me to prolong my career for as long as possible. This trategy has prompted some people to say that I am picking and choosing when to play for the Proteas and even to suggest that I am somehow putting myself before the team. This is something not true, that has never been true. Playing for South Africa is and will always be the greatest privilege of my life,” de Villiers said.
“Now to move forward, Faf du Plessis has proved to be an outstanding captain of the T20I and Test team, and bearing this in mind, I have informed Cricket South Africa that I would love to step down as the captain of the ODI team. It has been an honour to lead the team for the past six years, but it is now time for someone else to take the ODI side forward. Whoever is chosen as the new ODI captain will have my complete support.” he added.
Available for selection in all the formats of the game
The veteran of 222 ODIs and 106 Test matches, de Villiers said, “Following this recent break, I really do feel refreshed and revived. I want to get back on the field and I have today assured the national selectors that I will be available for selection in all three formats of the game during the coming season. There is plenty of hard work ahead in the nets and I must prepare properly, but I will be ready to play, if required, from the middle of October onwards.”
“Lastly, if I am lucky enough to be selected, I can’t guarantee runs and catches. Nobody can do that. But what I can absolutely guarantee is 100% commitment to the Proteas in every format of the game, as and when required. That was my promise when I made my debut in 2004, and that is my promise today.” he concluded.