Ajit Agarkar breaks his silence over selection controversy in Mumbai cricket
Dilip Vengsarkar also had earlier commented that the selectors were playing with the career of the players.
Published - Aug 14, 2018 3:20 pm | Updated - Aug 14, 2018 3:20 pm
Ajit Agarkar-led selection panel announced the probable list for the upcoming domestic season for Mumbai recently which has irked many. The list didn’t include some of the upcoming youngsters which have irked the players and the coaches. One of the club representatives also requested the Committee of Administrators (CoA) to sack the selection committee with the immediate effect. However, Agarkar himself has broken silence over the matter and clarified the reasons for not picking certain players.
He cited that attitude and discipline were the major reasons why few cricketers were omitted from the list of probables. There were seven cricketers including Shubham Ranjane and Aditya Dhumal who were included in the list only last week after the BCCI announced that the domestic season will commence with the One-Day competition.
“We wanted to send a message to some of the youngsters at the start of the season that attitude and discipline are as important as performances, and the lack of it that had been reported during the last season and the off-season camp in April-May needed to be addressed,” he said while speaking to Sportstar Live.
Selectors don’t watch local matches
Moreover, the selectors were also accused of not watching the local matches by a group of club representatives. Also, the former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar had commented about them playing with the career of the players by not picking them. Agarkar refuted all the charges and stressed that they know what they are doing and are acting responsibly.
“It’s not possible for us to pick players who are not part of the initial list and include them during the season if we haven’t watched them. If we don’t watch players, we won’t be able to pick the right ones. I don’t know in what context he (Vengsarkar) said what was attributed to him. We know it’s a huge responsibility and we are acting responsibly,” he added.
Keep following CricTracker for more news and updates.