BBL 2019-20: Colin Ingram to miss the upcoming season; doesn’t extend the contract with Adelaide Strikers
He was recently blessed with a baby and is currently playing in the IPL.
Published - May 1, 2019 6:12 pm | Updated - May 1, 2019 7:10 pm
Former South Africa international Colin Ingram will not return to play for the Adelaide Strikers in the next Big Bash League (BBL), the club has revealed. The 33-year-old batsman ran out of the contract with the 2017-18 season champions after the end of the recent edition, told the Strikers that he was not taking part in the BBL this year. Ingram is one of those South African cricketers who quit international cricket to opt for the Kolpak deal.
The Strikers expressed their disappointment over losing Ingram though they said they were anticipating such an outcome since the latter could not enter a new contract owing to personal issues. Ingram is currently playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL) for the Delhi Capitals and was blessed with a baby recently.
“We are disappointed to lose Colin but we were aware that it was a strong possibility that for family reasons he could not commit to a new contract,” cricket.com.au quoted SACA General Manager High Performance Tim Nielsen as saying. Nielsen also praised Ingram for his role both on and off the field.
“He is a quality player and leader and was one of the key players behind our first BBL title win last year. We wish Colin, Megan and family all the best,” he further added.
Colin Ingram appeared for the Strikers in 25 games in two seasons and scored 610 runs at an average of 30 plus and strike rate of almost 139. Ingram also led the team in the absence of Travis Head when the latter had gone for international duty.
Strikers will be banking on Rashid Khan
Strikers, who failed to defend their title last season by failing to make the knock-outs, though will be relieved over the fact that ace Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan will be back to play for them. The young bowler signed a two-year contract ahead of BBL 2018.
Meanwhile, cricket.com.au has also reported that another South African, AB de Villiers, has shown interest in playing in the BBL 2019-20 season and is reportedly looking for a club in the T20 tournament. De Villiers, who quit international cricket last year, has been playing in franchise crickets across the world. This year, he made his debut in the Pakistan Super League as well.
Join CricTracker on Telegram. Match Predictions, Fantasy Guides and other handpicked stories every day. Subscribe to our Telegram channel.