Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul suspended from the tour of New Zealand
The two cricketers will now travel back home from Australia.
Updated - Jan 12, 2019 9:47 am
Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul, on Friday, finally learned their fate from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) following their controversial appearance on the talk show Koffee with Karan. Both the players have been facing heavy backlash on social media ever since the episode aired on last Sunday. Subsequently they were suspended and called back from the ongoing tour of Australia, the ODIs Down Under will be followed by a limited-overs series in New Zealand and the two will not appear there either.
The Indian cricketers especially Pandya are facing the heat for their comments which have been widely deemed as ‘racist’, ‘misogynistic’ and ‘creepy’ on social media. On the talk show, popular for bringing out the unknown side of the celebrities because of the type of questions asked, the cricketer got carried away and the result was not pleasant at all. While answering one of the questions, Pandya brashly detailed how he had bragged to his parents about losing his virginity. When asked about their lives off the field Pandya proudly spoke of showing off his many flames to his parents.
“The other day there was a party,” Pandya said, “My parents are sitting there and (referring to the female guests) they’re like, ‘Which one is yours?’ and I sat with them and said, ‘This, this this, everyone’s got something with me.”
Pandya also answered a question about he approached women in nightclubs in this way: “I like to watch and observe how they move. I’m a little from the black side so I need to see how they move.”
Well, as soon as the show was aired, the repercussions followed as the two were slammed by all the quarters. And in the latest development, BCCI has decided to suspend the two pending further inquiry. The Indian board had already issued a show-cause notice to the two before taking their latest action.
Pandya and Rahul have returned home from Australia and the board is expected to name their replacements for the limited-overs leg of the ongoing tour and the forthcoming New Zealand series. Upon their arrival in India, the two will have seven days to explain why proceedings shouldn’t be made against them for misconduct and indiscipline under Rule 41 of the BCCI Constitution.
Under the rule 41, the players have been barred from participating in any match, event, function or activity that is authorised by the board, the ICC or any state association until final adjudication of the issue.
“The duo is now called upon to provide an explanation as to why they should not be proceeded against for misconduct and indiscipline under Rule 41 of the BCCI Constitution within a period of 7 (seven) days,” the BCCI said in a statement on Friday.