IPL 2018, Day 1 Auction: Delhi Daredevils squad
The Delhi Daredevils made some smart and interesting picks on the Day-1 of the auctions.
Updated - Jan 28, 2018 1:13 am
Delhi Daredevils have been one of the iconic teams of the IPL so far. In the initial editions of the Indian Premier League, the Delhi team featured players like Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, and AB de Villiers. However, as the tournament progressed forward, they let many big players go. Their auction strategies went terribly wrong at times, and they had to go clean state into the auction many a time.
Their best performances came in 2009 and 2012 when they emerged as the leaders of the points table. Despite dominating for the regular season, the Daredevils crumbled in the semi-final under a fierce batting assault by Adam Gilchrist, who hit the 3rd fastest fifty in IPL history (just 17 balls). They lost the semifinals to the Deccan Chargers. In 2012, DD came third in the tournament and qualified for the Champions League. Also, Sehwag stepped down from the captaincy role during CLT20 2012. Later, Mahela Jayawardene was appointed the captain.
They had a forgettable IPL after 2012. After the dismal performance in 2013, they decided not to retain any players for IPL-7. However, this did not change their fortunes in any way. They won only two of the fourteen matches in 2014 and also ended 7th in the 2015 edition of IPL. They ended both the 2106 and 2017 season at the 6th place.
Delhi Daredevils in IPL 2018 Auction
Ahead of the auctions, the team decided to retain three players from their previous squad. They retained Chris Morris, Rishab Pant, and Shreyas Iyer. This meant that they had Rs. 47 crores left in their purse going into the auction. They had some fine picks on the day-1 of the auction. DD goes into the day-2 of the auction with Rs. 12.3 Crores left in their purse. They have made 12 additions to the side today.
Here are Delhi Daredevils picks from Day-1 (including retentions):
1) Rishab Pant– Wicketkeeper Batsman- Rs 15 Crores (League Fee: Rs 8 Crores)
2) Chris Morris– All Rounder- Rs. 11 Crores (League Fee: Rs 7.1 Crores)
3) Shreyas Iyer– Batsman- Rs. 7 Crores (League Fee: Rs 7 Crores)
4) Glenn Maxwell– Batting All-rounder- Rs 9 Crores
5) Gautam Gambhir– Batsman- Rs 2.8 Crores
6) Jason Roy– Batsman- Rs 1.5 Crores
7) Colin Munro– Batsman- Rs 1.9 Crores
8) Mohamad Shami– Fast Bowler- Rs 3 Crores
9) Kagiso Rabada– Fast Bowler- Rs 4.2 Crores
10) Amit Mishra– Leg Spin- Rs 4 Crores
11) Prithvi Shaw– Batsman- Rs 1.2 Crores
12) Rahul Tewatia– All-rounder- Rs 3 Crores
13) Vijay Shankar– Batting All-rounder- Rs 3.2 Crores
14) Harshal Patel– Fast Bowler- Rs 0.2 Crores
15) Avesh Khan– Fast Bowler- Rs 0.7 Crores
For latest news and live updates on IPL auctions, keep following CricTracker.com