'I've made peace with it' - Colin Munro opens up on T20 World Cup snub

‘I’ve made peace with it’ – Colin Munro opens up on T20 World Cup snub

Munro attributed his non-selection to his stint with Perth Scorchers at BBL 2020-21.

New Zealand v Sri Lanka - ICC Cricket World Cup 2019
Colin Munro of New Zealand (Photo by Alex Davidson/Getty Images)

New Zealand batter Colin Munro has come to terms with his 2021 T20 World Cup snub, while he also admits that his international career might have come to a close, albeit not by his own choice.

Munro was not a part of either New Zealand squad for the Bangladesh and Pakistan series preceding the World Cup, as he made himself unavailable to ensure his participation for the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash League 2020-21, which he feels played its part in his non-selection. Meanwhile, New Zealand lost to Bangladesh 2-3, whereas it cancelled the Pakistan tour owing to security threats.

The 34-year-old, however, had questions in his mind over Adam Milne’s inclusion in the World Cup squad, given Milne left his domestic contract with New Zealand to represent BBL franchise Sydney Thunder, but was still named as a travelling reserve, and was eventually drafted into the team as a replacement of injured Lockie Ferguson. Munro had taken to his Instagram story immediately after the squad announcement to express his disappointment over his non-selection.

“Yeah, at the time [when he was not selected in the World Cup squad], to be honest I was very disappointed with the communication about why I wasn’t selected, rather than ‘guys have gone ahead of you’. I don’t really see how that was, with my international record,” Munro was quoted by ESPNcricinfo. “But now I’ve made peace with it, towards the back end my career, I can’t be too bitter.”

“I’ve grown up a little bit, if this was 25 or 26-year-old Colin getting that information I would have been all over social media too much. Whereas now I’ve sort of just gone about my business and know that chapter is probably closed. And I’m just fortunate enough that there are some leagues around the world that I can still ply my trade and get looked after pretty well.”

“I’m pretty comfortable. I think the thing that probably hurt me the most was coming to the Scorchers last year and not playing the home summer. Then I asked about Milney [Adam Milne], he gave up his contract and I was sort of told that it’s comparing apples and oranges. So, I just sort of left it at that.

“Financially for me, and it’s not always about finance, but when you’ve got two kids and you’re trying to set them up as well as you can, it was a no brainer for me to come over and play.”

It was tough to see someone else opening: Colin Munro

Munro, who last played for New Zealand in the home T20I series against India in early 2020, admitted “it was a bit tough” to see someone else opening for the team despite not being a designated opener, although he spoke highly of Daryl Mitchell, who took the role and played it to perfection.

“It was a bit tough,” he said. “Especially when you see somebody that doesn’t open the batting but give credit to Daryl Mitchell, he batted really well.

Munro will now regroup with Perth Scorchers for the upcoming BBL edition, which starts December 5