Mohammad Hafeez thanks his wife and a former cricketer for persuading him not to retire
"I was mentally disturbed after being dropped from the Asia Cup team."
Published - Oct 8, 2018 11:36 am | Updated - Oct 8, 2018 11:57 am
Mohammad Hafeez has had a fairytale return to Test cricket. After being picked in the squad after a gap of two years, the veteran didn’t leave any stone unturned. He scored 126 runs on day-1 in the first Test against Australia. His innings helped his side end the day with a commanding score of 255/3.
However, just before this series, Hafeez said that he had plans of retirement. Mohammad Hafeez was not picked in the Test squad initially. But the selectors decided to draft him in just a few days before the series began. After scoring the blistering century, the 37-year-old revealed that his wife and Shoaib Akhtar persuaded him not to retire.
I was mentally disturbed after being dropped from the Asia Cup team
Mohammad Hafeez said that he was mentally disturbed after he was dropped from the Asia Cup squad. Earlier, he did not get to play any of the five ODIs against Zimbabwe despite being in the squad. It was at that point in time when he pondered over retirement. But then, his wife, Nazia convinced him not to take the drastic step. He also added that Shoaib Akhtar spoke to him over a phone call.
“I was mentally disturbed after being dropped from the Asia Cup team. I could have taken a drastic step but I was stopped by my wife and then Shoaib Akhtar phoned me as well,” the centurion was quoted as saying in The Times of India (TOI). He also hailed his teammates for welcoming him back and giving him the confidence.
“I could have been doing something else (had I retired). But probably this was the place where I had to stage a comeback. When I came back in the team all the players welcomed me and gave me confidence and that increased my inner energy,” he further added.
Earlier, the 37-year-old was dropped from the Test squad after faring poorly in the first three Tests against England in 2016. He said that he worked hard since then to stage a comeback.
“I am very happy after this hundred and I tried my level best in the last couple of years to get back into this format and I am so happy to get a chance after a long time. I had no fear at all, I really backed myself and I knew that whenever it is the right time I will perform,” he concluded.
For more news and developments, stay tuned on CricTracker.com.