MSK Prasad explains MS Dhoni’s reaction after he was told of T20I axing
MS Dhoni hasn't put any objections to the decision, as expected.
Published - Oct 29, 2018 10:24 am | Updated - Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am
October 26, 2018 – It was the day when the entire nation was taken by a storm. Late into the night that day, the national selectors came up with a decision that took the cricket fraternity by a shocker. Former Indian skipper MS Dhoni, who has led the team to some glorious victories in the past, was dropped from the T20I side.
He was neither picked for the Windies T20I series at home nor for the three-match series in Australia. There have been many conflicting opinions about the decision since then. Also, various news are surfacing daily about this saga. The recent of all is where the chairman of selectors, MSK Prasad explained how the maestro reacted when Dhoni was told about his axing
MS Dhoni was most gracious
Back then, Prasad informed that they wanted to try out the second keeper as well. Later, it was apprised that keeping the T20I World Cup, 2020 in mind, which MS Dhoni might not be playing, they opted to leave out the wicket-keeper batsman. Further, this decision was taken only after the approval of both Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma.
However, the selectors also had a word with Dhoni itself at this point in time. MSK Prasad said that he himself spoke to MS to inform about the decision. He also noted that the 37-year-old was most gracious. Dhoni, who often puts the team ahead of his personal goals, is known to have supported the idea.
“I myself spoke to MS and I must say he was most gracious. I explained our need to look at a second keeper. MS graciously supported the idea. We’re looking at a second ’keeper, so Rishabh Pant is there and DK (Dinesh Karthik) hasn’t done badly either. Both, therefore, are in the T20I squads which we announced late on Friday” MSK Prasad said while talking to the Telegraph.