'Nothing in India, not even discussed it' - Sourav Ganguly on coronavirus threat ahead of the IPL 2020

‘Nothing in India, not even discussed it’ – Sourav Ganguly on coronavirus threat ahead of the IPL 2020

IPL chairman Brijesh Patel, however, cleared that the concerned officials are keeping a tab on the situation.

Sourav Ganguly
Sourav Ganguly. (Photo Source: Twitter)

Despite the novel coronavirus outbreak threatening global sporting events around the world, IPL Governing Council chairman Brijesh Patel on Tuesday ruled out any threat to the upcoming edition of the IPL. The much-awaited season of the cash-rich T20 league gets underway this month when Mumbai Indians lock horns against Chennai Super Kings on March 29 in Mumbai. Even the BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has voiced the same opinion.

The coronavirus outbreak has rocked the entire world. The deadly disease which has killed over 3,100 people and infected over 90,000 globally, has wreaked havoc on the international calendar of various sporting events across the globe and has even put the upcoming Tokyo Olympics under doubt. Earlier this week, there were some cases of the disease in India too including Delhi and Jaipur.

Both the cities have their own IPL franchises with Delhi Capitals representing Delhi and Rajasthan Royals representing Jaipur. However, Patel is confident that the outbreak would not affect the upcoming edition. At the same time, he insisted that the authorities are keeping tabs on all the developments.

“There is no threat as of now and we are keeping a tab (on the situation),” said Patel when asked whether there is any threat to IPL due to coronavirus.

Ganguly on coronavirus threat

BCCI President Sourav Ganguly too ruled out any threat to the IPL or the South Africa series, beginning with the first ODI on March 12 at Dharamsala in Himachal Pradesh. Recently, Ganguly decided against travelling to Dubai for the ACC meeting due to the coronavirus outbreak. “Nothing in India. Not even discussed it (Coronavirus)” Ganguly was quoted as saying by Hindustan Times.

Another senior BCCI official said that the South African team was coming as per the schedule for the three-match ODI series. The three-match ODI series will end on March 18 before the IPL gets underway on March 29. Team India was recently in New Zealand where they played T20Is, ODIs and Tests.

It was a forgettable tour for Virat Kohli & Co. India started the tour in a fine fashion by sweeping the five-match T20I series. However, things only went downhill after that. India lost all the three ODI as well as the two Tests.