Sourav Ganguly opens up on MS Dhoni’s participation in next T20 World Cup
The next edition of the T20 World Cup will be held in Australia in October next year.
Published - Dec 2, 2019 10:56 am | Updated - Dec 2, 2019 10:59 am
MS Dhoni has not played for India since the end of the World Cup in July but it has not taken the focus off him. The future of the former India skipper continues to be the most-talked-about topic in the Indian cricket circles. There is very little clarity over Dhoni’s international career as the chances of him donning the blue jersey again seem dubious.
The national selection panel did give an update when their chief MSK Prasad stated that the selectors are moving on from Dhoni. Since then, the selectors have backed young Rishabh Pant and have also called up Sanju Samson. But the selectors are yet to speak on what the future holds for Dhoni or what he needs to do to return to the national team again.
Recently, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly stated that there is absolute clarity between the board and Dhoni regarding his future. At the same time, the former India skipper also said that the details aren’t meant to made public right away. Thus, the cricketing world still does not know when will the 38-year-old finally return to the cricket field. Recently, Dhoni himself spoke on his future, telling the journalists not to ask him about his comeback until January.
MS Dhoni’s chances of playing T20 World Cup:
With MS Dhoni continuing his sabbatical from the game, another question that has been doing the rounds is whether he would play the next T20 World Cup. The next edition of the T20 World Cup will be held in Australia in October next year. And it looks like even Ganguly is not sure about Dhoni’s participation in the competition.
Answering the query in his own indomitable style, Ganguly gave a straight-forward response when asked if the veteran wicketkeeper-batsman would be part of next year’s T20 World Cup. Instead of beating around the bush, the legendary cricketer straightaway told the journalist to ask the question to MS Dhoni and not him.
“Please ask Dhoni,” Ganguly responded when a journalist asked about the possibility of Dhoni featuring in the prestigious ICC event. Ganguly addressed a press conference after the Board’s 88th Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Mumbai on Sunday. During the press conference, Ganguly also confirmed that the tenure of MSK Prasad as India’s chief selector has come to an end. Prasad was at the helm since 2015.