What happened in the cricket world today – April 7
Here is the wrap-up of the day from the world of cricket.
Updated - Apr 7, 2021 9:29 pm
1. IPL 2021: Daniel Sams tests positive for COVID-19 ahead of the season opener
Royal Challengers Bangalore, on Wednesday, have announced that their all-rounder Daniel Sams has tested positive for COVID-19. The Australia star is the second player from the Bangalore-based outfit to contract the virus was opening batsman Devdutt Padikkal.
2. Hurt and shocked to read Taslima Nasreen’s vile remark against my son, says Moeen Ali’s father Munir
The 58-year-old controversial author, in a tweet, stated that Moeen Ali would have joined the Islamic State had he not picked cricket as a profession. Her stern words have created a furore on social media platforms.
3. IPL 2021: Ricky Ponting confirms Steve Smith’s batting position in Delhi Capitals
Delhi Capitals head coach Ricky Ponting has confirmed Steve Smith’s batting position in the team ahead of the upcoming season of the Indian Premier League (IPL). Smith is gearing up to play for the Delhi-based franchise for the first time in his career.
4. T Natarajan reveals MS Dhoni’s golden advice he received in IPL 2020
T Natarajan had a brilliant outing in the last edition of the IPL. Such was his performance in the competition that his Sunrisers Hyderabad skipper David Warner had called him the find of the season.
5. Had Glenn Maxwell done really well, he wouldn’t have played for so many franchises: Gautam Gambhir
With Glenn Maxwell gearing up to represent yet another franchise in the IPL, former India opener Gautam Gambhir has opined that the Australian’s inconsistency is the reason behind him playing for several teams.
6. IPL 2021: Tom Moody explains the reason behind picking Mujeeb Ur Rahman in the auction
There is no doubt over his quality as a spinner in the format as he is quite experienced by now. However, it was slightly surprising that the Sunrisers went for him, considering that they already have Mohammad Nabi and Rashid Khan in their mix.
7. IPL 2021: Mumbai Indians’ players and staff test negative for COVID-19 after Kiran More tests positive for the virus
Ahead of the 14th edition of the T20 extravaganza, the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Mumbai Indians (MI) were dealt with a massive blow as their talent scout and wicketkeeping consultant Kiran More tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
8. I’m not really sure how we got Steve Smith so cheap: Delhi Capitals’ head coach Ricky Ponting
Smith was expected to initiate a bidding war on the auction table during the IPL 2021 auction, however, in an interesting turn of events, the swashbuckling batsman received just two bids.