David Warner decides to walk off the field after comments from opposition
He reportedly decided to walk off after harsh comments by an opposition player.
Published - Oct 27, 2018 1:27 pm | Updated - Oct 27, 2018 1:27 pm
Australia’s opening batsman David Warner staged a bizarre walk off during a Sydney Premier Cricket match on Saturday morning. The left-hander, who’s been banned from playing international cricket, is currently plying his trade for Randwick-Petersham. While playing against the Western Suburbs at a local ground in Sydney, Warner decided to walk off the field during the 19th over of Randwick-Petersham’s innings. The batsman was on 35 after a strange turn of events.
According to a reporter from Sporting News from the venue, the opening batsman told the umpire, “I’m removing myself from the game” and subsequently crossed the boundary rope and left the field. Apparently, he was refusing to tell the umpire why he had decided to take such a drastic action. It seems a player from the opposition had passed a comment about Warner.
There is no confirmation as to who passed the comments, or what the comments referred to. However, it’s believed Jason Hughes – the older brother of the late Phillip Hughes – made the comments. A report on News Corp suggested Hughes had allegedly labelled Warner a “disgrace” to Australian cricket. Regardless of who said what, the comments had certainly hurt the batsman, following which he decided to walk off.
Warner walks out, then walks back in after 2 mins
But things got more peculiar when he came back out to bat approximately two minutes later. He continued to bat and the opposition didn’t seem to have any issues with it. Warner went on to bring up a gritty hundred after spending over 3 hours out in the middle.
The former Australian vice-captain was earlier banned for a year after his involvement in the ball-tampering saga which rocked international cricket. He, along with Steve Smith, will not be taking part in Australia’s important home series against India later this year. However, both are expected to return to the national side prior to next year’s World Cup and the Ashes which will be hosted by England.
In the meantime, the Australian has been offering his services in T20 leagues across the world. He flew to North America earlier this year to play in the inaugural Global T20 Canada for Winnipeg, before signing for the St Lucia Stars in the Caribbean Premier League. Now, he’s also confirmed a stint with Bangladesh Premier League side Sylhet Sixers for the 2019 edition of the tournament.
Get the latest Cricket News and updates from the world of cricket, Match Predictions, Fantasy Cricket Tips and lots more on CricTracker.com.