Advertisement

Shoaib Malik breaks silence on curfew violation charges; asks Pak media to be accountable

Shoaib Malik requested the media and other people not to drag the athletes' families into petty discussions.

Shoaib Malik
Shoaib Malik. (Photo by Visionhaus/Getty Images)

Pakistan batting all-rounder Shoaib Malik is not to be vocal, at least as much as his Indian wife Sania Mirza. But the turn of events over the last few days has forced the veteran cricketer to break his silence and appealed to the Pakistani media to act more credibly. The 37-year-old was speaking on the issue of the video that claimed that he along with other Pakistan players were partying late at night at a sheesha place when the big match against India was scheduled just the next morning.

Malik was particularly targeted for his horror show in the match. He bowled just one over in the game, conceding 11 runs without a wicket and then got dismissed in the very first ball that he faced while chasing India’s mammoth total of 336 for 5. It was the second game in a row that Malik was dismissed for a duck and with eight runs in three matches in the tournament so far, speculation is on whether his final World Cup is already over.

Advertisement

Apart from Malik, even Sania was dragged into the controversy after she was seen at the sheesha place. Sania lashed out at the fans for taking a video that allegedly violated their privacy and also had a spat on Twitter with Pakistani actress Veena Malik who tried to advise her on parenting.

Malik was hurt that even after 20 years, he has to make clarifications

Malik later spoke out to blast the Pakistani media. He asked when will his country’s media be more accountable. He also said that after having served his country for two decades, he still has to clarify things related to his personal life. He said the videos that were circulation were from June 13 and not 15. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has also denied the allegations that players were violating the team curfew.

“When will Pak media be accountable for their credibility by our courts? Having served my country for +20 years in international cricket, it’s sad that I have to clarify things related to my personal life. The videos are from 13th June and not 15th,” Malik tweeted, attaching the PCB’s official statement in the post.

He also requested the media and people to maintain respect for the players’ personal lives. “On behalf of all athletes I would like to request media and people to maintain respect levels in regards to our families, who should not be dragged into petty discussions at will. It’s not a nice thing to do,” he wrote in the other Tweet.

Advertisement