We will show BCCI all the security plans for the World Cup, says ICC chairman Shashank Manohar
In the letter written by BCCI CEO Rahul Johri, it was clearly mentioned that BCCI is worried about the safety of its players.
Updated - Feb 23, 2019 4:53 pm
In the wake of recent events, BCCI has requested ICC to show their security plans for the upcoming ICC World Cup, especially for the game against Pakistan which still remains in jeopardy. ICC chairman Shashank Manohar, who previously worked as the BCCI President, confirmed the news of receiving a letter from BCCI over this aspect.
After the cowardly terror attack in Pulwama which led to the death of over 40 CRPF personnel, the Indian government has been cutting off ties with the neighbouring country in every aspect, which also led to them considering to forfeit India-Pakistan game in the upcoming World Championship.
Although there has been a mixed response on the matter, BCCI has been reiterating that they will follow whatever the government says. Shashank Manohar confirmed that security for all teams will be top priority and when the board members meet in March, BCCI will be shown the security plans for the tournament.
“I have received the BCCI’s letter. Security has, and always will be, the top priority of the ICC. When the ICC (board members) meet in Dubai on March 2, we will show the BCCI all the security plans which have been put in place for the World Cup. They can satisfy themselves over the arrangements for the World Cup. Every board is entitled to do that,” Manohar was quoted as saying by Times of India.
“BCCI fears players safety,” the letter mentions
In the letter written by BCCI CEO Rahul Johri, it was clearly mentioned that BCCI is worried about the safety of its players. The letter was addressed to voice the board’s concerns regarding various aspects and it urged the ICC to take their request into consideration.
“The communication is being addressed to voice the BCCI’s concerns and sentiments that have emerged after the recent dastardly terrorist attack which was carried out on Indian soil by a terror outfit based out of Pakistan which resulted in the death of 44 (40) Indian security personnel,” Johri wrote in the letter to ICC.
“In view of the aforesaid terrorist attack, BCCI fears for the safety and security of players and match officials participating in upcoming ICC events including ICC Cricket World Cup,” Johri further wrote.