Wriddhiman Saha is still in our scheme of things for the longer format, says MSK Prasad
Rishabh Pant's place in the Test team is not guaranteed yet.
Updated - Feb 2, 2019 1:49 pm
When MS Dhoni announced his retirement from Test cricket, many feared about the future of wicket-keeping in India. The fans were of the belief that the team will struggle with the man behind the stumps as it used to do in the Pre-Dhoni era. However, Wriddhiman Saha put a full stop to all these misconceptions with his performances behind the stumps.
He is safe as a house with the gloves and also did live up to the expectations with the willow. In 32 Tests thus far, he scored 1,164 runs at an average of 31 and scored three centuries in red-ball cricket. However, multiple injuries last year have now put his future in jeopardy. While Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel were given opportunities in this period, young Rishabh Pant who has managed to seal the spot.
He was our No.1 keeper before Rishabh Pant arrived
Pant performed exceedingly well in England and Australia. Although there is a huge scope of improvement with the gloves, he is getting better by the day. But, chairman of selectors MSK Prasad made it clear that Wriddhiman Saha will be in the scheme of things in the longer format.
“Saha has been our No.1 wicketkeeper till he got injured. Subsequently, we have given an opportunity to young Rishabh, which he has grabbed with both hands. Having said that, Saha is still in our scheme of things for the longer format,” said Prasad in an interview with Cricbuzz.
Saha has almost recovered from his shoulder injury and is working hard on his fitness. Moreover, he is eyeing at the India A series against England Lions or the Syed Mushtaq Ali tournament for his come back. He isn’t a part of the squad for the first unofficial Test against England Lions though.
“It will be great if I could be fit to play in India A day-games against England Lions [starting February 7]. If the fitness is up to the mark, then only I will be available. I am almost there,” he had told Sportstar last month.