33 Interesting stats from Rohit Sharma's career
On the occasion of Rohit Sharma's 33rd birthday, we look at 33 interesting stats from his professional career.
It took a while for Rohit Sharma to make his mark in International Cricket but his career graph kept going up ever since he was pushed up to open the innings in the limited-overs. The 7-8 years have been extremely fruitful for Rohit as he continued to make big records in the ODI format. His success was not only limited to ODIs as he is among the most prolific batsmen in the T20I cricket. His record as captain in the IPL doesn’t need an introduction where he stands as the most successful captain by leading the Mumbai Indians to four titles in only seven seasons.
On the occasion of Rohit Sharma’s 33rd birthday, we look at 33 interesting stats from his professional career:
The man of big events:
1. Three of Rohit Sharma’s six hundreds in the World Cups came while chasing; the most number of 100s by any player in CWC chases. His four centuries while chasing in ICC ODI tournaments (CWC and CT) are also the most for any player.
2. Rohit Sharma became the first player to smash a hat-trick of ODI centuries in England with the centuries in each of India’s last three league stage matches of the CWC 2019.
3. Rohit’s five tons in the 2019 World Cup helped him to become the first player to score five tons in an ODI series/tournament. Overall, Clyde Walcott (1955 Test series vs Australia for West Indies) is the only other player to have scored as many as five centuries in a series/tournament in International cricket.
4. All six centuries of Rohit in ODI World Cups came as an opener; the most ODI CWC tons for anyone as an opener. Rohit’s seven hundreds in ICC ODI events are also the most for any opening batsman.
5. Rohit Sharma scored 648 runs in the 2019 World Cup out of which 647 came before the knockouts; the most number of runs scored by an individual during the league phase of a World Cup. Overall, Sachin Tendulkar (673 in 2003) and Matthew Hayden (659 in 2007) only have scored more runs than Rohit in an ODI World Cup.
Reaching milestones with maximums:
6. Rohit Sharma was the first player to have raised one of his centuries in all the three formats by hitting a six. Till date, Rohit has reached three ODI tons, two centuries in Test cricket and a T20I hundred by hitting a maximum.
7. Rohit brought up his first of the three ODI double centuries by hitting a six off Clint McKay (vs AUS in 2013). It is the only instance across the eight individual double hundreds in ODI history where the 200-run mark was brought up with a six.
8. Rohit became the first Indian to complete a double century with a six in Test cricket. Rohit hit a six to bring up his maiden double ton during the 2019 Ranchi Test against South Africa.