'If T20 World Cup is postponed to next year, a lot of things will change' - AB de Villiers on his comeback

‘If T20 World Cup is postponed to next year, a lot of things will change’ – AB de Villiers on his comeback

AB de Villiers also cleared that he wants to earns his place in the side and don't want special treatment.

AB de Villiers (Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)

The Coronavirus outbreak has put a huge question mark on cricket’s marquee’s events. While the Indian Premier League (IPL) is already in danger of getting cancelled this year, the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in Australia seems to be in trouble as well. The mega event is scheduled to commence on October 18 but the ongoing pandemic has led to the ICC rethinking over organising the tournament.

Moreover, the current situation has disrupted AB de Villiers’ plans of making a comeback to international cricket. Not long ago, he had expressed his desire of donning the South Africa jersey again ahead of the T20 World Cup even as he had conversations with the new head coach Mark Boucher. However, De Villiers is now unsure about his comeback if the World Cup is postponed to next year.

The 36-year-old has cleared that he doesn’t want to create false hopes and is not sure whether his body will support him next year. AB de Villiers said that he is available at the moment though he is afraid of any commitment regarding 2021.

“I can’t see six months into the future. If the tournament is postponed to next year a whole lot of things will change. At the moment I feel available, but at the same time I don’t know how my body will see it and if I will be healthy at that time.

“..I might get to a point where I have to tell ‘Bouch’ (coach Mark Boucher) I was interested, I would like to play a role but I’m not going to be able to play myself. I’m afraid of such a commitment and creating false hope,” he said while speaking to Afrikaans-language Sunday newspaper ‘Rapport’.

I don’t want special treatment, says AB de Villiers

AB de Villiers is mindful of what happened last year during the World Cup. After reports emerged that he had made himself available for mega event just before the squad was picked, many alleged of taking his place in the team for granted despite retiring. This is why the former Proteas skipper is keen on making a comeback based on his skills and doesn’t want to be favoured.

“I am uncertain about giving a definite answer because I have been very hurt and burned in the past. Then people will again think I have turned my back on our country. I can’t just walk into the team. I have to work for my place and deserve it. It was very hurtful for me last year when people thought I assumed there was a place for me. I feel available and I will give it a go with everything I have, but I don’t want special treatment,” De Villiers added.