‘PCB is funded 50% by ICC, which is funded 90% by BCCI’ – Ramiz Raja feels PM Modi has power to trigger Pakistan cricket’s collapse
PCB chief has even previously been vocal about how the cricket system of Pakistan entirely runs and functions on the monetary funding received from the ICC.
Updated - Oct 8, 2021 6:19 pm
Ramiz Raja, Pakistan Cricket Board chief, on Thursday (October 7) made claims that if the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi does not provide any funding to Pakistan, then its cricket structure will collapse.
Raja, who was recently elected unopposed as the PCB chief after replacing Ehsan Mani, made the comments at Pakistan’s Senate Standing Committee meeting. “PCB is funded 50% by the ICC that is funded 90% by the BCCI or in a way, the Indian business houses are running Pakistan cricket. If tomorrow Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi feels that we won’t provide any funding to Pakistan, then this cricket board can collapse,” Raja said.
Previously too, the PCB chief has been vocal about how the cricket system of Pakistan entirely runs and functions on the monetary funding received from the ICC and how it would suffer it ceases to exist due to any reason someday.
PCB chairman Ramiz Raja told Pakistan’s Senate Standing Committee that Indian business houses in a way run Pakistan cricket and Indian PM Modi has power to ensure collapse of PCB#PakistanCricket #RamizRaja pic.twitter.com/fbpUk2g5Fx
— Zee News English (@ZeeNewsEnglish) October 8, 2021
Meanwhile, currently, Pakistan received a couple of setbacks after New Zealand and England cancelled their tours to the nation. New Zealand, who were touring Pakistan for the first time in 18 years, pulled out of their limited-overs tour hours before the first ODI in Rawalpindi, citing security concerns.
“The BLACKCAPS are abandoning their tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert” their press release read.
Only three days later, England and Wales Cricket Board announced its decision to pull out of their men’s and women’s tour scheduled in October, citing the mental health of the players and bio-bubble fatigue as a reason.
“The ECB Board convened this weekend to discuss these extra England Women’s and Men’s games in Pakistan and we can confirm that the Board has reluctantly decided to withdraw both teams from the October trip,” the statement from the ECB read.
In the aftermath of England’s pull-out, the ECB chairman Ian Watmore issued an apology and resigned on October 7. “I’m very sorry to anyone who feels hurt or let down by our decision, particularly in Pakistan. The decision the board made was an extremely difficult one and the board made it with the primary consideration being the welfare and mental health of our players and staff.”