Steve Smith doesn’t want to challenge the ban. Here’s why
Smith has once again taken the full responsibility of the incident as the captain.
Published - Apr 4, 2018 11:38 am | Updated - Apr 4, 2018 11:38 am
The disastrous tour of South Africa has finally come to an end for Australia as they were annihilated by the home side by a massive 492 runs in the final Test. It was expected as they were two of their best batsmen in the line-up in Steve Smith and David Warner who was banned for 1 year by Cricket Australia for their involvement in ball-tampering scandal. Even Cameron Bancroft was slapped with a ban of 9 months. However, Steve Smith has given a crucial update on the sanctions imposed on him.
There were reports earlier that the disgraced trio might challenge the punishment given by their board after which the official hearing would’ve taken place. During their respective press conferences, they apologised to the nation and the fans all over the world for their regrettable actions but also cleared that they were seeking legal advice regarding the bans imposed on them.
Smith accepts the sanctions
Steve Smith has cleared that he will not be challenging the sanctions imposed on him by Cricket Australia and once again taken the full responsibility for what happened in Cape Town a few days ago. He took to social media website Twitter to make things clear and respected the decision of the cricket board.
“I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country. But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as Captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the sanctions. They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them,” he said in a tweet.
This tweet sends the strong message now that he will come back as a better and stronger cricketer next year and the world might see the new version of the cricketer.
When will Smith comeback?
Now that Smith has decided not to challenge the sanctions, he will represent Australia again only in last week of March next year. The period will be crucial for him as World Cup will be just around the corner which will take place in England and he will have to hit the grounds soon to make it to the team. He will be able to play the Indian Premier League (IPL) as his franchise Rajasthan Royals hasn’t released him.
Here’s Smith’s tweet:
I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country. But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as Captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the sanctions. They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them.
— Steve Smith (@stevesmith49) April 4, 2018
Here’s our video of the day:
Keep following CricTracker for more news and updates