KKR batting coach Simon Katich thinks RCB are one of the favourites to win the title
He also talked about the Ball-Tampering saga that has marred Australian cricket.
by Ankit Editor
Published - Apr 6, 2018 4:45 pm | Updated - Apr 6, 2018 4:53 pm
The Indian Premier League (IPL) season 2018 kicks off kicks off tomorrow and two of the strongest teams like always are the Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore. While KKR have won the title twice, RCB is yet to get their hands on the trophy. Nevertheless, this Virat Kohli led side has a lot of potential, is very well capable of going the distance and KKR batting coach Simon Katich has similar views.
Kolkata will take on Bangalore in their opening encounter for the season and Katich thinks they will start as favourites in the first match. He is excited for his team and eager for the game to get underway. The Australian also said that they have a strategy in place for Kohli and he wants the right-hander to be caught in the slips.
“No doubt, we go in as underdogs as RCB are one of the joint favourites to win the title. We look forward to the challenge in proving people wrong,” Katich said ahead of their season opener.
Hoping to get Kohli out for a duck
“Quick outfield, beautiful conditions, and a full house on Sunday. We are looking forward to a fantastic start to the IPL for us. We just can’t wait to get out there. Hopefully, we will get him (Kohli) caught at the slips like last year,” he added while recalling the game in 2017 where KKR got rid of him for a duck.
While he is in India with the Knight Riders, Australian cricket is in the middle of a turmoil. Former captain Steve Smith, his deputy David Warner and Cameron Bancroft have been banned from international and domestic cricket for their involvement in the Ball-Tampering scandal.
“All three players — Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft — haven’t appealed the ban. They have taken it on their chin and Cricket Australia sent a strong message that they will not condone that sort of behaviour. It’s to the player’s credit that they have accepted the ban,” he said.
“Hopefully, in a year’s time, or nine months for Bancroft, we will see all of them back and playing for Australia at some stage.” Katich termed it a “bad mistake” and expected the trio to comeback stronger. “They are all good young lads, unfortunately they made a bad mistake and everyone does that in life at times. I hope they will come back bigger and better players. It’s something we never did,” Katich concluded.
Here is how the RCB squad looks like for IPL 2018:
For all the latest cricket news and other details follow CricTracker.